International Study and Internships
Study abroad opportunities are supported and encouraged in the Math Department. There is also an institute wide recognition of the educational benefits of a period of study abroad. MIT organizes these visits through the Global Education Office.
The deadline to apply for any opportunity for the 2020-2021 academic year is February 15, 2020. These International Study pages have a wealth of information on each program.
If you are interested in studying abroad there are a couple of things to do:
- Search for a program that interests you here:
- Book an appointment with a study abroad adviser here:
- Attend a Global Education Office(GEO) information session:
- Wednesday, September 25th – Hacking Study Abroad (4pm, 1-190): Thinking about studying abroad but not sure how it can fit in your MIT schedule? Come to this presentation to get information on programs and the steps to study abroad.
- Tuesday, October 1st – IAP Programs Abroad Info Session (5:15pm, 4-370): Study literature or language in the UK, Spain, China or Brazil through MIT instructor led IAP classes. Scholarships are available. Learn more about the following courses at this info session:
- Literary London (London, UK)
- The Spanish Incubator (Madrid, Spain) *Taught in English
- Race, Modernity and Migration in the Americas (Sao Paulo, Brazil) *Taught in English
- Speak with your academic adviser, or Theresa Cummings in the Math Academic Services Office (2-110)
- Email the Study Abroad office: firstname.lastname@example.org
Here are some programs of various types in Mathematics that recent MIT Mathematics majors have attended. Several of them have kindly sent reports of their experience and invite you to contact them if you want more information.
This is a one semester or full academic year opportunity to study in London, UK.
This is a one-semester program in Budapest, Hungary. The language is English.
A one-semester program at the Independent University in Moscow. The language is English. The American Mathematical Society administers National Science Foundation grants to cover some of the costs.
An opportunity to do your study abroad during the Independent Activities Period
MISTI's web page states "MISTI matches MIT students with tailored internship, research and teaching opportunities abroad."
For details see http://misti.mit.edu/