International Study and Internships
Taking advantage of study abroad opportunities is encouraged in the Math Department. There is also an institute wide recognition of the educational benefits of a period of study abroad. MIT organizes these visits through MISTI.
- Visit the MISTI 101 page to learn more about opportunities through MISTI.
- Learn more about MISTI by signing up for this newsletter. This is a great way to keep in the loop with all things MISTI.
The deadline to apply for any opportunity for the 2021-2022 academic year is February 15, 2021, but some deadlines may be in the Fall. Please reach out to MISTI for more details on these deadlines. These International Study pages have a wealth of information on each program.
If you are interested in studying abroad there are a couple of things to do:
- Search for a program that interests you here:
And find further details about study abroad here:
- Book an appointment with the study abroad coordinator by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Attend a MISTI study abroad information session:
- Wednesday, September 30th – Beaver Study Abroad Basics (4pm, Registration Link TBD): Thinking about studying abroad but not sure about the process? Come to this presentation to get information on programs and the steps to study abroad.
- Speak with your academic adviser, or Theresa Cummings in the Math Academic Services Office (2-110)
- Email the Study Abroad office: email@example.com
Here are some programs of various types in Mathematics that recent MIT Mathematics majors have attended. Several of them have kindly sent reports of their experience and invite you to contact them if you want more information.
This is a one semester or full academic year opportunity to study in London, UK.
This is a one-semester program in Budapest, Hungary. The language is English.
A one-semester program at the Independent University in Moscow. The language is English. The American Mathematical Society administers National Science Foundation grants to cover some of the costs.
An opportunity to do your study abroad during the Independent Activities Period
MISTI's web page states "MISTI matches MIT students with tailored internship, research and teaching opportunities abroad."
For details see http://misti.mit.edu/