Introduction to Functional Analysis: 18.102 -- Spring 2015
- Lectures in 4-163, Tuesday and Thursdays 1-2:30PM.
- My office hour in E17-340 Wednesday 2-3.
- Grader's office hour in E18-466B Friday 2-3.
- Please ask questions!
- Comments and remarks:
- Oops, missed a question!
- On request I put up a brief set of solutions to the final -- unproofread due to haste; enjoy your summer!
- Grades for 18.102 should come up later today, 21 May, 2015.
- Old remarks
- Syllabus May change a little with time but my best guess as to where I will go.
- Lecture notes as I go along -- this briefly describes what I expect to talk about/did talk about with pointers for more details.
- Graders: Ryan Chang and Qiang Guang
- Don't be afraid to email to me at rbm AT math.mit.edu -- it will likely be answered! I am always interested to get some feedback on how hard/easy you are finding things.
- Sources Lecture notes etc.
Homework, tests and grades
- Problem sets will be due on Saturdays, at 7AM. Solutions must be submitted electronically to me at rbm AT math.mit.edu (not to the grader, that will not work) and dated by then. This does not mean that you need to learn LaTeX (although of course that is probably a good idea). You can write out your solutions and scan-to-pdf (there are several places you can do this as you no doubt know better than me). The weird time is not meant to encourage you to all-nighters but seems the easiest to enforce.
LATE HOMEWORK will be graded. However, this will probably be done by me, so don't expect too much generosity. How many marks you get for late homework is decided by me based on a secret, highly dubious, formula. Try to avoid this route.
So, homework will due on, Saturdays (at 7AM, so try to send it the preceding Friday),
- First problem set Problems1.pdf Due 7 Feb.
- Second problem set Problems2.pdf Due 14 Feb.
- Third problem set Problems3.pdf Due 21 Feb. Revised, 17 February, 2015 -- typo in Problem 3.2.
Third problem set solutions Problems3-sol.pdf
- Fourth problem set Problems4.pdf Due 28 Feb.
Fourth problem set solutions Problems4-sol.pdf
- Fifth problem set Problems5.pdf Due 14 March.
v2 - 11 March, 2015: Correcton to problem 5.6
- Sixth problem set Problems6.pdf Due 28 March.
v2 -- 15 March, 2015: Hint on Problem 6.1.
v3 -- 20 March, 2015: Typo in Problem 6.3 corrected; Hint on Problem 6.2 added.
v4 -- 21 March, 2015: Typo in Problem 6.3 fixed.
- Seventh problem set Problems7.pdf Due 4 April.
v2 -- 29 March, 2015: Typo fixed
- Eighth problem set Problems8.pdf Due 25 April.
v2 -- 17 April, 2015: Corrections to P4 and P5.
- Ninth and final problem set Problems9.pdf Due 8 May.
v2 has a hint for the last problem.
- Two in-class tests, March 5 and April 9.
Problems for first test Test1-pre.pdf
Solutions to problems for second test Test2-pre-sol.pdf
- Final exam May 18, 1:30-4:30, Walker (50-340).
Problems for final Final-Pre.pdf
Version 2, 13 May, 2015: Corrections (thanks James) and Q3 modified slightly.
Brief solutions for final: Final-sol.pdf
- Grades will be computed by two methods -- the cumulative and the hope-springs-eternal method with the actual grade the greater of the two.
- First method: Homework 30, Tests 30, Final 40.
- Second method is based purely on the final. Try not to rely on this.