18.404/6.840 Fall 2018
Introduction to the Theory of Computation
** NOTE: Solutions on this page are accessible only from within MIT.
If you are off campus and you are a class member with an MIT certificate,
you can also find the solutions on
Office hours: Tuesdays 4:15-6:00
Office: 2-438, Phone: 253-4992, sipser-at-mit.edu
- TA: Inioluwa Oguntola, ini-at-mit.edu
- TA: Srini Raghuraman, srirag-at-mit.edu
- TA: Rishad Rahman, rrrahman-at-mit.edu
- TA: Danny Tang, data1013-at-mit.edu
- TA: James Hirst, Grading Coordinator, jhirst-at-mit.edu
- TA: Bertie Ancona, Grading Coordinator (first half of course), bancona-at-mit.edu
- TA: Nipun Pitimanaaree, Grading Coordinator (second half of course), disneyp-at-mit.edu
Office hours (beginning Tuesday September 11)
Lectures are held in room 54-100 on Tuesdays and Thursdays
from 2:30 to 4:00.
- Mondays 2:00pm-4:00pm, 26-204, Ini.
- Mondays 7:00pm-9:00pm, 2-136, Bertie.
- Tuesdays 12:30pm-2:30pm, 2-151, Rishad.
- Tuesdays 4:15pm-6:00pm, 2-438, Mike.
- Tuesdays 6:00pm-8:00, 2-136, Danny.
- Wednesdays 2:00pm-4:00pm, 36-144, Nipun.
- Wednesdays 4:00pm-6:00pm, 36-144, Srini.
The one-hour recitations meet Fridays in room 2-139 (except the 10am which
will be in 2-132) at the following times:
- 10:00am, Ini
- 12:00pm, Nipun (before midterm) and Bertie (after midterm)
- 1:00pm, Rishad
- 2:00pm, Srini
- 3:00pm, Danny
Midterm exam: Thursday, October 25, 2:30-4:00, top floor in Walker
Introduction to the Theory of Computation, 3rd edition,
Sipser, published by Cengage, 2013.
It has an
errata web site.
You may use the 2nd edition, but it is missing some additional practice
problems. You also may use the International Edition, but note that it
numbers a few of the problems differently.
If you are dealing with a personal or medical issue that may affect
your participation in any MIT class, please discuss it with
Student Support Services (S3)
in 5-104 at 617-253-4861. They also have walk-in hours
M-F 9am-10am and 2pm-3pm. We cannot excuse you from coursework
without support from S3.
Final exam: Monday, December 17, 1:30-4:30, duPont Gym (W31).
If you may require disability accommodations,
please speak early in the semester with
Associate Dean Kathleen Monagle in 5-104 at 617-253-1473 and
then let me know so that we can work together to get your accommodation
logistics in place.