Reading Group on An Inclusive Academy
During the Summer of 2020, we are holding a reading group/seminar on Part I of An Inclusive Academy: Achieving Diversity and Excellence by Abigail Stewart and Virginia Valian.
The readings for the seminar are designed to take less than 1 hour per week so that even those with little extra time are able to participate. We’ll meet via Zoom for an hour once per week to discuss the readings. The organizers will come up with some discussion questions to think about during the weekly meetings.
- Detailed description of the seminar
- eBook access, generously provided by the MIT Libraries to anyone with MIT Credentials
Organizers: Peter Haine and Tom Mrowka
Meeting Time: Wednesdays at 8PM EDT, starting on June 24
Zoom Meeting ID: 936 1690 0398 (link valid for all meetings; MIT credentials required)
To join the mailing list for the seminar, please contact Peter Haine (email@example.com).
Below is the tentative schedule for the seminar during for the Summer.
June 24: Chapter 1, week 1
- Reading: pp. 3–19 (until the section “Individuals and Institutional Structures”)
- Summary notes
July 1: Chapter 1, week 2
- Reading: pp. 20–35 (remainder of the chapter)
- Summary notes
July 8: Chapter 2
- Reading: pp. 41–62 (whole chapter)
July 15: Chapter 3, week 1
- Reading: pp. 71–93 (until the section “Perceptions of Outstanding Women”)
July 22: Chapter 3, week 2
- Reading: pp. 93–109 (remainder of the chapter)
July 29: Chapter 4, week 1
- Reading: pp. 121–136 (until the section “Accounts of the Observational Data”)
August 5: Chapter 4, week 2
- Reading: pp. 136–158 (remainder of the chapter)