2015 Photos from Asia
- CAMP (Center for Applications of
Mathematical Principles), a subset of NIMS (National Institute for
Mathematical Sciences), Daejeon, (South) Korea, June 23. The sign on
the window says "This area has been fumigated for MERS." Note the
large screens which feature games, interactive math, math demos, etc.
- A bridge for pedestrians and bicycles in
Daejeon, sometimes disparagingly called the "Macdonald's bridge,"
- View from under a bridge in Daejeon,
- Möbius strips in front of National
Science Musuem, Daejeon, July 8.
- FPSAC banquet, Daejeon, July 9.
- Unusual food item
at FPSAC banquet,
Daejeon, July 9. The sign says "steamed kangaroo tail."
- Dongsu Kim and me at FPSAC banquet, Daejeon,
- Dinner performance, Jeonju, Korea, July
- Woong Kook and me, Seoul, July 5.
- View from Seoul Tower, July 5.
- Good luck locks, Seoul Tower, July 5.
- Blue House (Korean equivalent of White
House in USA), Seoul, July 5. Korean name is Cheongwadae. It is said
to be at a location with highly auspicious feng shui.
- Lobby of Howard Plaza Hotel, Taipei, July 12.
- A shopping street of Taipei, July 13.
- Damping sphere for Taipei 101, July 14. It
weighs 600 tons.
- Coral artwork for sale at Taipei 101 coral
gift shop, July 14. The price: 68,000,000 Taiwanese dollars (30
Taiwanese dollars = 1 US dollar).
- View from Taipei 101, July 14. Height of the
Observatory is 1285 feet (391.8 meters).
- Infinite selfie, Taipei 101, July 14.
- Taipei 101, July 14.
- The field in Jinguashi
(金瓜石) in which my host Yeong-Nan Yeh was born,
when his mother was gathering bamboo. Jinguashi is a former
gold-mining area. (Yeong-Nan's father was a gold miner.) "Jinguashi"
means "gold melon stone," because the top of a mountain (subsequently
destroyed by gold mining) looked like a pumpkin. (July 15)
- Cyuanji Temple (from the back), near
Jinguashi, Taiwan, July 15.
- Guangong, originally the general Guan Yu
(160-219), later elevated to a deity. At Cyuanji Temple, July 15.
- Buffet dinner with Yeong-Nan Yeh and Grace,
Taipei, July 15.
- Beans on shaved ice, a popular summer
snack in Taiwan, at the most popular such restaurant in Taipei, July
- A parade at Incheon Airport, July 18.