Introduction to Functional Analysis: 18.102 -- Spring 2016
- Lectures in 4-163, Tuesday and Thursdays 11AM-12:30PM.
- My office hour in 2-480, Wed 2-3:30. If you plan to come, try to send me an email message so that if there are a lot of people I can get a room.
- Grader's office hour
- Please ask questions!
- Comments and remarks:
- Solutions to final can be found below.
- Lectures Syllabus and notes as I go along -- this briefly describes what I expect to talk about/did talk about with pointers for more details.
- Lecture notes for the course -- you are supposed to read these as we go along, preferably before lectures.
- Grader: Pavel (Pasha) Galashin.
- Don't be afraid to email to me at rbm AT math.mit.edu -- it will likely be answered! I am always interested to get some feedback on how hard/easy you are finding things.
- Sources Lecture notes etc.
Homework, tests and grades
- Problem sets will be due on Saturdays, at 7AM even though the stated due date is on Friday. Solutions must be submitted electronically to me at rbm AT math.mit.edu (not to the grader, that will not work) and dated by then. This does not mean that you need to learn LaTeX (although of course that is probably a good idea). You can write out your solutions and scan-to-pdf (there are several places you can do this as you no doubt know better than me). The weird time is not meant to encourage you to all-nighters but seems the easiest to enforce.
LATE HOMEWORK will be graded. However, this will probably be done by me, so don't expect too much generosity. How many marks you get for late homework is decided by me based on a secret, highly dubious, formula. Try to avoid this route.
So, homework will due on, Saturdays (at 7AM, so try to send it the preceding Friday),
- First problem set Problems1.pdf Due 5 Feb.
- Second problem set Problems2.pdf Due 12 Feb.
- Third problem set Problems3.pdf Due 19 Feb.
- Fourth problem set Problems4.pdf Due 26 Feb.
- Fifth problem set Problems5.pdf Due 11 March.
- Sixth problem set Problems6.pdf Due 25 March.
- Seventh problem set Problems7.pdf (v2 8 April) Due 8 April.
- Eighth problem set Problems8.pdf (v2 14 April, v3 15 April, 2016) Due 15 April.
- Ninth problem set Problems9.pdf (v2 18 April, 2016) Due 29 April.
- Tenth problem set Problems10.pdf (v4 6 May, 2016) Due 6 May.
- In the end only one in-class tests, March 1; the second test on March 31 is toast.
Problems for first test
The second test has been cancelled
- Final exam: May 16, 1:30-4:30 in Walker.
Solutions for final Final-sol.pdf
- Grades will be computed by two methods -- the cumulative and the hope-springs-eternal method with the actual grade the greater of the two.
- First method: Homework 30, Tests 30, Final 40.
- Second method is based purely on the final. Try not to rely on this.