18.906: Spring 2014
18.906: Algebraic Topology II, Spring, 2014
- TR 2:30-4:00, room E17-133
- Instructor: Mark Behrens
- Office: E17-444
- Office hours: Wed 1:00-2:00, Thurs 1:00-2:00, or by appt.
I will not be following any particular book, and you certainly are not
required to purchase any book for the course.
The following books are the primary references I am using:
- Hatcher, "Algebraic Topology". Available for free
- May, "A Concise Course in Algebraic Topology". Also available for free
- Hatcher, "Spectral sequences in algebraic topology", chapter 1.
- Milnor and Stasheff, "Characteristic Classes".
The course will be similar to my 2006 course. Complete lecture notes
may be downloaded from MIT's open course-ware site.
Click here to view the course calendar. Informal
handwritten lecture notes are posted here, as well as course assignments.
Each day I will also attempt to fill in a planned topic for the next class
period, as well as suggested reading.
Homework is usually assigned on Tuesdays, and usually
due in class the tues after it is
assigned. The psets will be posted on the calendar.
It is fine to work with others, but you must turn in your own write-up.